A history of

 

St. Thomas, Nevada

And the

Surrounding Areas

1865 - 1938

 

Coming in November!

Old Logandale School Historical and Cultural Society

3011 North Moapa Valley Boulevard

PO Box 65 Logandale, NV 89021

Phone: (702)398-7272 ~ Library: (702)398-7273

Logandale School 2002

Open to the Public:

Mon - Fri 10:00 am - 4:00 pm, Sat & Sun Closed

Text Box: OLSHACS mission is to restore and preserve the historic treasures of Moapa Valley, to establish and maintain a museum of pioneer artifacts, and to establish and maintain a historical library.
Text Box: OLSHACS will promote the cultural arts in Moapa Valley by providing facilities for the displaying, teaching and performing of the arts.

Back to Top

Schools in the Moapa Valley have a rich history. The valley was settled by Mormons, and they have always been known for making a school one of the first buildings built when starting a new community. St. Thomas had a school in 1865, and so did St. Joseph, later to be known as Logandale. In August of 1868 tragedy struck St. Joseph. Two young boys built a fire to roast potatoes behind Brother Miles and Brother Streepers homes in the fort. A breeze caught the fire and blew sparks to the tule-thatched roof of the building, and started a fire that consumed most of the fort before it was through. The school was one of the casualties. After that, there is no record of a school in St. Joseph until 1892, when Joseph Smith Huntsman built the Huntsman granary. It was a two-story adobe building with a granary and tack room downstairs, and a large room upstairs for school, church and community activities.

About 1899, a new building was built. It was always referred to as the “boxcar” school, as it was about 12 ft. wide and 24 ft. long, shaped like a boxcar. In 1911 a new building was built that was used until 1920. In that year, a new school was built in Overton, and for the next 15 years, the Logandale children were bused to Overton for school. Then a local farmer, Louis Adams, donated the land where a new Logandale school was to be built. It was constructed of native stone quarried from the east end of Wells Road. This new structure consisted of four classrooms, a bell tower, a gym and stage. The school opened in 1935 and the following year, showers, dressing rooms, and indoor toilets were added. In 1938 the bell tower was removed to make way for the next addition. The red brick front included classrooms for the 7th and 8th grades, a library, a band room and office space. It was a center of pride for the community and a location for social, religious and educational activities. When the Clark County School District was formed in 1956 the school was closed and students returned to Overton.

 

In the 1960s and early 1970s, migrant farm workers children were educated in the old Logandale school. Renovation then took place so the building could be used for a community and recreation center. Unable to take care of the building, the Logandale School was turned back to the school district in 1988, and it remained boarded up, neglected and vandalized until 1997.

 

OLSHACS Inc. was then formed, and dedicated to restoring the building to the beautiful condition you see today.

Brief History

Home

Brief History

Email:OLSHACS1@mvdsl.com

Board of Directors

Back to Top

Board of DirectorsOLSHACS

We would love to hear from you! Email your comments or questions to -

OLSHACS@mvdsl.com

More Info ...

Text Box: St. Thomas, Nevada
and the Surrounding areas
1865 - 1938
by
Virginia (Beezy) Lani Tobiasson
and
Patricia Ann Hall Scott


A beautifully-bound three-volume set telling the history and stories
Of the
Muddy Valley and its pioneers
$100.00 per set


Coming in November
Copies are going fast, so reserve you copy NOW!

Back to Top

Back to Top

President

Beezy Tobiasson

Email: bezzy@mvdsl.com

Vice President

Mike Shaw

Email: big100bubba@yahoo.com

Secretary

Dianne La Nasa

Email: glanasa@mvdsl.com

Treasurer

Richard Saunders

Email: saunders@mvnet.com

Member @ Large

Geraldine Bow

Email: iolene@mvdsl.com